It was Feb of 1988. I had enough turmoil. I decided to bolt for the first time. Sick of taking shit. Sick of dealing with a killer for a biological mother trying to obtain my affection, I decided to run away with someone I loosely call a friend. She was sick of her drunken dad, too. She was 14. I was 15. She stayed over the night before and stayed out all night, scaring the crap out of me with worry.
We decided to grab some cash and meet on bus 51 at a designated time. I went on the wrong bus. The creature went to Old Sacramento (which is the MOST obvious place the cops and parental units would find us!) and got caught. Stupidity I thought. I ended up taking the 62 then got off at the wrong spot. I walked and low and behold I see James. James was dressed in spikes,combat boots, with a huge red mohawk. Instantly, I told him my story; I was now a teen aged runaway! We walked to some fast-food joint convincing this guy we were siblings that needed to meet our parents asap; the guy questioned us, " You aren't runaways, are you???. "No,sir", we replied. The kindly soul took us to Java City.
I had two bags in tow, got out of the car THEN saw my older friend Niki. Niki was a street urchin in some glam band about 5-7 years older ,who I had a HUGE crush on! He scanned me immediantly. With my two bags in tow he asked if I was running away.Admittedly, I said,yes. After some talking he introduced me to T.C. aka Troubled Child. I have no clue T.C.'s story. He was pale thin punk rocker with a mohawk. Niki spoke with James and T.C. telling them they'd better protect me until he could meet me in the morning; they agreed to protect me til the morning.
This was the first time out of three that I had decided to runaway. I never stayed out long. The longest time was maybe 10 days-2 weeks.
It was getting dark. So we wandered around going to the K-Street Mall(which was outdoors with fountains and weird artwork.Nothing like it was now). We wadded in the fountains getting change to go to Denny's near Old Sacramento. It was getting dark and cold. While walking towards Old Sacramento we encountered a teenage "street-gang" called the Soldier Boyz; they were joy riding in the stolen bikes they happily obtained. One of the leaders rode the bike into the fountain, jumping off before the bike disconnected the cement flying into the fountain. The leader smirked at me taunting me with " Why don't you go back to your suburbia!".I told him it wasn't that perfect. He taunted me more telling me to "Go home little girl!" Fuck him.
We walked to Old Sacramento and met-up with other street urchins who told us to search for change under the wooden walk way. We went into the old abandoned hotel, then I waited for them to look for change, as I acted as a look out. Eventually, we walked to Denny's being harrassed by the cops at one point. I doubt they bothered to check my description because there was a report out on me as a missing persons.

No comments:
Post a Comment